Friday 3 September 2010

Week 10 update - My first injury

After my no-go last Thursday I didn't have another chance to go running again until Wednesday. I spent the bank holiday weekend in Wales on a friend's hen-do where we did horse riding, rock climbing, abseiling and an obstacle course up a stream. My whole body hurt - it was quite a workout!

Wednesday was my first time out running in exactly a week, and although my whole body ached my legs were happy to be out running again. When I first started out I felt full of energy and it felt good.

About 2/3rds of the way round however I HURT! My back and ribs were killing me from where they'd been bashed about doing the obstacle course and I was in a fair amount of pain. I ploughed on as I had to get home anyway and it was just bruised and not a serious injury. However the pain of my back and ribs was masking something a bit more serious and more relevant to my running.

I'd gone over on my ankle on my way home from work and although when I started running my ankle was fine by the time I finished the route it was pretty sore. Thankfully it didn't swell up, but it's been aching ever since.

I called my dad (a qualified medic) and he told me R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression bandage and Elevation. Since it wasn't swelling I skipped the ice and tried to do the other three as much as possible on Wednesday evening and I've been trying to keep off of it since. It's doing much better so I'm hoping to get back out again this weekend.

No comments: