Sunday 1 August 2010

Week 5 update

Thankfully after a very long week my stomach bug finally cleared. However last Sunday we went to the Farnborough Airshow and although I was prepared for hunger, thirst, rain, cold, and even dry eyes, I stupidly wasn't prepared for direct sun! I got absolutely scorched, definitely the worst burn I've ever had. My poor shoulders and chest blistered and the sunglasses outline burned into my face caused great amusement at the office. Since movement and sweating wasn't exactly desirable I decided to take another week of running.

Yesterday I helped out at a club track and field event (smothered in suncream this time!) but it got me itching to get out running again, so although I'm not 100% healed I got on my running shoes today and hit the park. Man it felt good to be out running again!! I took it easy, although I did the full 5.4 mile circuit of the park I walked to the park and back and alternated running and walking around the park, running a mile fairly quickly then walking about a half mile. I got a real buzz every time I got running and I'm looking forward to my next time out!

On Tuesday evening I'll be competing in the 1 mile club championship race, then I'll do a 2.8 route on Thursday morning before work and finally a long run in the park on Saturday before heading off to help at another track and field event for the club. I'll be gently easing myself back into running, and then next week I'll ramp it up a bit more, I want to start getting some more mileage in.

No comments: