Saturday 26 June 2010

Why I'm running for Hearing Dogs

When I was a child I was inspired by the story "Sounds like Skipper" by Kerena Marchant. In it the author, a BBC TV researcher, tells how she adjusted to being deaf, and explains how Skipper, her hearing dog, lets her lead a normal life. It was my first introduction to the concept of hearing dogs and it demonstrated to me the profound impact they can have in the life of a hearing impaired person.

Hearing dogs are trained to help severely deaf people by alerting them to sounds such as the doorbell, cooker timer and smoke alarm - sounds that many hearing people take for granted.

While the practical value may be obvious, the therapeutic value should not be underestimated. In addition to increased security hearing dogs bring their recipients increased confidence and independence to what can be a very frightening and isolating disability.

When out and about a hearing dog's special burgundy jacket helps others to recognise the owner's otherwise invisible disability. If you're in a crowded space and someone is stood in your way after you've repeatedly asked to get past how many of you would just barge past? I know that after spending 2 years in London I definitely would. However if you saw they had an assistance dog you'd no doubt approach the situation differently.

One in seven UK adults will suffer from some form of hearing impairment, some from birth, others as the result of an accident or illness. My father is supposed to wear a hearing aid - he had frequent ear infections as a child, resulting in ruptured eardrums, followed by a career as a diver which has left him with reduced hearing. I inherited his proneness to ear infections and in certain situations I'm reminded that my hearing has also been affected - especially in noisy environments where I struggle to make out specific sounds. While neither of us requires a hearing dog over half a million of people in the UK experience severe or profound hearing loss and could potentially benefit from having a hearing dog.

75% of hearing dogs were previously unwanted - they may have been in rescue centres or donated by people no longer able to look after them. The remainder are supplied by breeders, or the charities own breeding program. Since the charity receives no government funding, it relies totally on the generosity of individuals and organisations to continue transforming the lives of deaf people.

I hope you will agree that this is a worthy cause and donate whatever you can - Thank you in advance!

No comments: