Thursday 1 July 2010

My First Race! 5k.

I just ran my first race - a 5k race between the different athletics/running clubs in London. There were a lot of serious runners there, all incredibly fit so I didn't feel bad about coming second last out of about 200 odd people.

Everyone was really friendly and really encouraging - it was great as I was really nervous about being the "new kid".

Afterward everyone kept asking me if I enjoyed it - honestly, no I thought I was going to die, I started to need a wee half way around and there were moments when I really felt like giving up. But I kept pushing myself thinking "On marathon day you can't just give up!" I ran most of the race, but I did stop to walk sections to catch my breath. The next 5k I run my aim is to run the entire thing - regardless of time.

Although I may not have enjoyed the race itself, the euphoria afterward is remarkable! I feel amazing! I'm so proud of myself and just feeling great. Even looking forwards to the next one!

I don't yet know my time, but once the club announces it I'll post it on here. It felt like it took FOREVER, but we'll see what my time actually was.

***UPDATE*** The times are in - I completed the race in 32mins 20sec. Not bad for my first time! ***UPDATE***

No comments: